This Project was a kiln load of window glass and foil. All follow on from the original window glass test project I did. They are all the same 4mm window glass as before. I used the same water drop test to identify the tin side. So all projects were 2 layer 4mm window glass with tin side on bottom and top and kitchen foil cut out shapes in the middle. The only extra test in this kiln is the fish item. On this project I added the tiniest sprinkle of bicarbonate of soda in the middle of the layers with the foil with the aim of producing bubbles in the glass. I suspect I may not have added enough bicarb, but everything I had read said a little goes a long way, so I started very conservatively.

This load has been put on on preset programme 1 on the kiln. It was put on papyros paper as I hadn’t had time yet to re-kiln wash the shelf since the last firing. I shall update on the outcome. I am a bit worried as to whether the items are spaced out enough (as the glass will spread to become 6mm thick from 8mm. I guess I will find out how well (or not) I have judged this. I am hoping I haven’t crammed too much in!.

So, the outcome was mixed, with a lot of learning. I have come to the conclusion that if there is space for air to escape between the glass layers then more of the ‘foil’ will ‘disappear.  This can be seen in several of the pieces, particularly where the wire hooks / hangers have been. This is particularly apparent in the heart hanging, where the hearts are gradually more solid the further away from the hanging wire that they are.

Am pleased with the fish and bubble trial. I put minimal bicarbonate of soda on the glass, yet the bubbles are big. I also plan to try out using borax as I’ve read that this should make smaller bubbles, so I can compare the two.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *